Sunday, March 21, 2010

Is It Because I Stole the Candy?

Isn't it something when you think you've escaped a common problem known to mankind that affects just about everybody only to find out that it got you in the end?

Now, I'm not talking about some communicable disease but rather a common skin condition that everyone in every race experiences at some time on another...Acne

Yes, I thought I had it made during my teen years, skating nicely through high school without a zit in sight.  Nope, not a zit in site at all.  Some would say I was lucky. However, the acne imps finally caught up with me in my mid 30s.  All of a sudden I was no longer experiencing clear unblemished skin.  What went wrong?

Was I being punished for stealing candy from my co-worker's desk? Or maybe it was because I snuck off to Uno's that time for a feast while my family sat home eating leftovers?  Ok, that's probably a stretch but more practically could it be my hormones?? My diet??

God knows. All I know is that every few days I was waking up with a zit somewhere along the side of my face that eventually led way to cystic acne.  *Sigh

Getting cystic acne is no fun. You get these fine micro pimples that are kind of hard and not easy to get rid of.  So, I started my investigation to figure out why I was having acne issues at 34 years of again and how do I make it stop?!

I saw dermatologists and tried pharmaceutical drugs for a time. They stopped the breakouts for a little bit but didn't clear up the little cysts that were annoying me mad.  Around the same time, I started seeing an alternative health practitioner who practices applied kinesiology and uses whole food supplements to address common health issues...including acne.

Fast forward...at 41 years old I am finally on my way to clearer skin.  Yes, I still get the occasional outbreak like you probably do too.  The difference is I'm finally experiencing real results and relief from the dreaded cystic acne.

It's been an emotional battle but here's what I discovered I need to be on top of to keep my skin clear (yours may differ):
  • Avoid processed foods
  • Avoid unhealthy oils. Stick with butter and extra virgin olive oil
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Cut way back on my sugar intake
There you have it. My pathetic little story. What's yours? Hey, everybody has a story. Share it. I'd love to read it.  Makes others feel good to know they are not alone in the world of acne...

About Michelle:  Michelle Howard is creator of Blended Naturals, a hand crafted natural skin care line for women.  As an advocate for women of color to care for their beautifully pigmented skin, Michelle helps with this pursuit by providing an array of information and skin care resources.  Subscribe to her Skin Natural newsletter for monthly tips, beauty information and a Free Basically Beautiful Tips Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Contact Michelle:

Your Name :
Your Email :
Subject :
Message :
Image (case-sensitive):
HeliumNatural Dry Skin Remedies